Massawa Gold Project
The Massawa project is a grassroots exploration discovery located on the Kanoumba permit in eastern Senegal. Randgold owns 83.25% in partnership with a Senegalese company who owns 6.75%, after providing for the State of Senegal’s right to a non-contributory 10% share of any mine developed on the property. The project is located about 700 kilometres south east of the capital city of Dakar and approximately 90 kilometres due west of Randgold’s Loulo operation in Mali.
Achieved in 2017
- Expanded Sofia orebody reserves
- Converted Delya orebody resources into reserves
- Completed drill out of the Massawa Central Zone metallurgical optimisation areas
- Updated geological and metallurgical understanding of the Massawa orebodies
- Initiated pilot level testwork on Massawa Central and Northern Zones
- Completed UFG and associated circuit expansion
- Completed environmental and social baseline assessment
- Tested satellite targets outside the three reserve orebodies
- Sterilised TSF and diversion dam infrastructure sites
Targeted For 2018
- Further expand project reserves
- Complete drill out and metallurgical test work of Massawa
- Complete final feasibility study and development timeline for project
- Add to project reserves through development of satellite orebodies
- Complete sterilisation of plant, administration and camp locations
Massawa Total Mineral Resources And Ore Reserves^1
Massawa Mineral Resources And Ore Reserves
|Mine/Project||Category||Tonnes (Mt)||Grade (g/t)||Gold (Moz)||Attributable Gold3 (Moz)|
|at 31 December Category||2017||2016||2017||2016||2017||2016||2017||2016|
|Measured and indicated||24||20||3.8||4.0||2.9||2.6||2.4||2.1|
1 Open pit mineral resources are reported as the insitu mineral resources falling within the $1 500/oz pit shell reported at an average cut-off of 0.8g/t. Underground mineral resources are those insitu mineral resources below the $1 500/oz pit shell of the North Zone 2 deposit reported at a 2.3g/t cut-off. All Massawa mineral resources were generated by Simon Bottoms and Rodney Quick, both officers of the company and competent persons.
2 Open pit ore reserves are reported at a gold price of $1 000/oz and at an average cut-off of 1.1g/t, including both dilution and ore loss factors. Open pit ore reserves were generated by Shaun Gillespie, an officer of the company and competent person.
3 Attributable gold (Moz) refers to the quantity attributable to Randgold based on its 83.25% interest in Massawa.
Mineral resource and ore reserve numbers are reported as per JORC 2012 and as such are reported to the second significant digit. All mineral resource tabulations are reported inclusive of that material which is then modified to form ore reserves. Refer to the notes to the annual resources and reserves declaration on page 107 of this annual report.